Talking to God, praising him, confessing our sins and bringing our worries and concerns to him are an important part of every church meeting.
What to do:
- Lead prayer from the front – first or second prayer.
- Arrive at church 20mins early to liaise with the gathering leader.
- Preparation time during the week, checking for the key themes from the bible talk and what’s happening in the world and at church (second prayer).
- There is a detailed training seminar for Leading in Prayer at Church, and you should complete this before you first lead in prayer. This is simply a checklist for those who have already been trained. If you are interested in attending the next training please contact the relevant person below.
Who to ask: Sandy McMillan
Before church :
- everyone involved ‘up front’ at church meets for prayer before the meeting begins. Please be on time for this as it is an important aspect of the responsibility you have been given. Look for the leader of the meeting at 8:50am/10:10am/4:40pm.
- There is normally a time for prayer as we begin each Church meeting where we focus on what God is like - thank and praise God and to confess our sin.
Usually there is time later in the meeting to specifically ask God for things for ourselves and for others. This is often after the talk so that God’s Word might inform how we pray and what we ask for.
- We normally have one person on 2nd prayer for an entire month at a time. This ensures that we pray for a range of concerns over several weeks, rather than miss out on some prayer points while repeating others.
- This prayer is intercession focused. Try to avoid vague prayers such as “Lord, be with Fred” or “We bring before you married couples”. Pray specifically for requests (in a way that we can ask ourselves in successive weeks whether God has answered this prayer).
- Prepare or write down your prayers beforehand so that it is easy for people to follow and pray along with you.
- Keep in mind our church’s overall mission, and to have this mission motivate our prayers – we exist to glorify God by proclaiming Jesus to everyone so that people (in Drummoyne and beyond) might become Christians and grow as Christians.
- Each week in our ‘second prayer’ it would be good, at the very least, to pray something from the following 4 areas:
- In Response to the Word - what can we pray in the light of the sermon today. Talk to the preacher before Sunday to get a clearer idea on this.
- In Concern for the World - what is happening in the world (Australia or overseas) that would be important to pray about.
- What is happening at church - particular concerns with people and upcoming events eg. upcoming outreach events, Street Fair etc.
- Mission at DPC – pray for each of us as missionaries each week, and for events such as he street fair or other evangelistic opportunities at church (there should be one happening all the time – Easter, Christmas, Gingerbread House nights, men’s and women’s events, etc). On the third Sunday of each month we focus on our Overseas Missionaries.
- Items from the lists below – pray in whatever order you want. But ensure that we pray for each item in the relevant list at least once during the month. Think ahead and plan. Is there a particular week when it would link in with the theme/talk to pray about a particular item? Also, think about how the theme or application of the talk might be prayed specifically for the people/item that you pray about that day eg. if the talk is about trusting in God, why not pray that the kids at kids church would be learning to trust in God?
Important things to include in prayer each month:
Things to cover in odd months
(Jan, Mar, May, Jul, Sep, Nov)
- Kids Church (kids & teachers).
- Leaders of various ministries, Elders, Committee of Management.
- Other Churches in our area (St Bedes Anglican, Drummoyne Baptist, etc).
- People looking for work.
- Theological Students at DPC.
- Government & Leaders of Australia, both state and federal.
- The work of Simple Love (a charity organisation providing for the needs of refugees in the Inner West).
Things to cover in even months
(Feb, Apr, Jun, Aug, Oct, Dec)
- DY (teenagers & leaders).
- DPC Playgroup ministry
- Other congregations at DPC (pray for them specifically, and for particular needs they may have).
- Pastors and staff at DPC.
- Scripture at Drummoyne Public School.
- Christians in the work place.