NO FUSS LUNCH - 1030am
On the first Sunday of every month we have a no fuss lunch after 10:30am church. This gives us a bit more time to talk to each other and find out how things are going in each other’s live.
What to do:
- Each Home Group organises food and drink once or twice a year. It’s helpful for each Home Group to nominate one or two people to coordinate who will bring what food.
- 30 mins before church for preparation and after church pack up.
Who to ask:
- 10:30am – Darryl Soh or Margaret Orpwood
Food and drink for the No Fuss lunch is usually organised by Home Groups. To ensure it's "no fuss", feel free to ask for help with cleaning up and other jobs. Helping each other as much as possible makes everything less fuss.
Before the day:
- Please start planning together as a group several weeks in advance.
- Numbers vary depending on the time of year (public holidays, school holidays etc.) but generally there are 80 adults and 40 children (10:30am)
- When it comes to working out a menu, your home group may be feeling creative or it may be feeling like it needs all the help it can get! If you do need a menu suggestion, please call one of the staff. For simplicity, try to give the kids the same food as the adults.
- Plan what is needed:
- Check supplies of utensils (bowls, plates etc.) and purchase extra if required.
- A couple of bottles of soft drink and water. For lunch, it is recommended that 3 jugs of water are provided (as this is the best drink for the kids).
- It is a good idea to divide up the things that need to happen in preparing food between different members of your home group, who will buy each item and agree on quantities. This way no one is left doing everything!
On the day:
- The meal should be outside in the green square whenever possible. If the weather is not nice, then in the church itself is the wet weather alternative.
- Think ahead and plan to set up as much as possible before church.
- Plan to only leave church 10 mins before the end to finish setup and get food on tables.
- IMPORTANT NOTE: it is encouraged to work out the logistics of No Fuss Lunch in a way where no-one from your home group misses out on the Bible talk. (For example, if you are doing a BBQ, it would be a good idea to par-boil the sausages prior to Sunday to ensure that the cooking of the sausages happens quickly.)
- Please put out a bowl or ice-cream container and put a sign called “Gold Coin Donation”.
- Have designated people to clean up, put away rubbish, fold tables and return to hall etc.
- Return any urns or equipment to cupboards and clean down BBQ.
- Try to keep your overall budget to about $1.50 a head (80 adults + 40 kids = $180 dollars = a lot of sausages and buns).
- Any costs that your home group incur will be covered by the gold coin donation as well as Drummoyne Presbyterian funds (up to $100 per No Fuss Lunch per month.)
- Please remember to get a reimbursement form here and use that to claim back expenses. These forms can be put in the red boxes and will be processed at the next Committee meeting.
Some suggestions of what has worked well include:
- Sausages, bread rolls, onion, sauce
- Pizza Hut on Lyons Road – ask for a discount and get delivered to the College St gates at Church.
- Wraps with cold meat and salad
- BBQ chickens, bread rolls and salad
- Soup and bread rolls in winter (4-6 people bring a pot of soup each, one other buys bread and cups).
Safety is any family’s key concern and our Church family is no different. Shown below are a couple of safety tips/ hazards to look out for.
- If using the BBQ, please make sure that you keep children away from hot oil and hot surfaces. When putting out the food, always ensure that anything hot is safely away from the edge of tables.
- Please ensure that the urns are kept in the centre of the table with no power cable dangling down the side.
- Please take the time to locate the nearest fire extinguisher to the kitchen and familiarise yourself with its use.
- First aid kits can be found in both kitchens (in the main church building and lower hall).